Our office is entirely virtual due to COVID-19. All advising sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
First-year freshman & Undeclared students
First-year freshmen and undeclared students have an assigned counselor in the UAC (refer to your SF State email for messages from your counselor). Reach out to your counselor directly via email, drop-in, and/or appointment when you need assistance.
Advising services are reserved for SFSU students currently taking classes or who have previously taken classes at SF State. Newly admitted students for Spring 2021 semester, will receive advising at new student orientation. Please contact New Student Programs for information about winter 2021 orientation.
Please email your counselor from your SF State email address as all responses will be sent to that account.
Your assigned counselor may be able to address general questions via email, but might recommend drop-in advising or an appointment when appropriate.
Starting September 7th, refer to your assigned counselor’s drop-in advising hours or schedule an appointment if you are unavailable during their designated drop-in time.
Drop-ins are for "quick questions" that can be answered in 15 minutes or less. We see students on a first come, first serve basis during the drop-in hours posted on our Advising Home Page.
[ Advisor Office Hours table: Available August 2020 ]
Academic Advising Appointment
Your assigned counselor will send emails throughout the year to invite you to schedule an appointment so check your SF State email regularly. You may also use the link below to schedule an appointment with your assigned counselor or email your counselor if you are unavailable during their appointment times.
Students changing their major or pursuing a Special Major
If you are reconsidering your major, there are a few important things you may want to do:
1) If you might keep your current major, but aren't sure, you might want to talk to your major department advisor to see how well your current major will fit your needs.
2) You might talk to the College Resource Center if you are interested in an alternate major in a specific college or the intended major department to see about the possibility of the alternate major. Refer to the major department website for contact information if reaching out to major departments.
3) If you know which major you want to declare, you can see if you can declare online.
4) If you need help with the exploration process, you can go online to schedule a General Major/Minor Exploration appointment with the Undergraduate Advising Center.
5) If SF State doesn't offer a major you are interested in or you have a very specialized field you want to study, a Special Major might be right for you. Review the online information about the Special Major to see if this is the right direction for you to pursue to meet your academic goals.
Former Gators planning to return to SF State as an undeclared student
If you plan to return to SF State as an undeclared student, call the UAC’s Virtual Front Desk to schedule a Readmission appointment. Returning students declared in a major should contact the college resource center associated with the major.
*Live Edits : 7/3/2020*