graphic with text: FAQ

No! Many students start at SF State as “undeclared”, or change their major within their first two years to find a different passion. Studies have shown that students who change their major within their first two years are still as likely to graduate in four years as their counterparts who started as a declared major.

Yes. We encourage students to take general education and/or major prerequisite courses at community colleges and transfer them to SF State. You want to ensure that the course(s) you are taking will be transferrable, so if you are concerned about this come see a counselor in the UAC. Keep in mind that we will only accept 70 transfer credits from the community college system.

There is no set time frame for when students should be declaring majors at SF State. However, you should start investigating as soon as possible.