First-year freshmen and undeclared students
First-year freshmen and undeclared students have an assigned counselor in the UAC. (Refer to your SF State email for messages from your counselor). Reach out to your counselor directly via email, drop-in, and/or appointment when you need assistance.
Please email your counselor from your SF State email address as all responses will be sent to that account.
Your assigned counselor may be able to address general questions via email, but might recommend drop-in advising or an appointment when appropriate. Email addresses for advisors can be found in the "Drop-in Advising" section below.
Refer below to your assigned counselor’s Virtual Office hours.
Advisors have 2 hours of virtual office hours every week available to their caseloads only*. Students are seen via zoom on a first come first served basis. Please see email outreach from your assigned advisor for zoom links.
If you are unavailable during their designated in person drop-in time or virtual office hours, schedule an appointment.
|Arman Liwanagemail@example.com||Mon & Tues: 1:00pm -2:00pm|
|Diana Castrofirstname.lastname@example.org||Mon and Wed: 5:00pm-6:00pm|
|Martina Lasichemail@example.com||Wed 3:00pm - 4:00pm & Thurs 10:00am - 11:00am|
|Matt Grossbardfirstname.lastname@example.org||Thursday 1:00pm-3:00pm|
|McCall Olsonemail@example.com||Mon 2:00pm-3:00pm & Tues 10:00am-11:00am|
|Riri Shibatafirstname.lastname@example.org||Wed: 10:00am-11:00am & Wed: 2:00pm-3:00pm|
|Sakiya Gallon-Johnsonemail@example.com||Tuesday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm|
|Scherane Kinneyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Tues: 10:00am -12:00pm|
|Tara Boehmemail@example.com||Thurs: 11:00am - 1:00pm|
|Joe Benjaminfirstname.lastname@example.org||Wed: 11:00am-12:00pm|
Your assigned counselor will send emails throughout the year to invite you to schedule an appointment so check your SF State email regularly. You may also schedule an appointment with your assigned counselor or email your counselor if you are unavailable during the appointment times provided in the original invitation.
Learn how to prepare for these common appointments by clicking on the option below.
If you are reconsidering your major, there are a few important things you may want to do:
1) If you might keep your current major, but aren't sure, you might want to talk to your major department advisor to see how well your current major will fit your needs.
2) You might talk to the College Resource Center if you are interested in an alternate major in a specific college or the intended major department to see about the possibility of the alternate major. Refer to the major department website for contact information if reaching out to major departments.
3) If you know which major you want to declare, you can see if you can declare online.
4) If you need help with the exploration process, check out our Major Exploration page to get started.
5) If SF State doesn't offer a major you are interested in or you have a very specialized field you want to study, a Special Major might be right for you. Review the B.A. Special Major to see if this is the right direction for you to pursue to meet your academic goals.
If you plan to return to SF State as an undeclared student, contact our front desk to schedule a Readmission appointment. Returning students applying to return in a declared major should contact the college resource center associated with the major.